Home Souvlaki with Pita
Traditional pita souvlaki made at home with no special equipment but with the same taste and feeling of a bought at a store meal.
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 kg Pork (belly and shoulder - half & half) any tender pork part you like.
- 250 gm Yogurt
- 2 gloves Garlic
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 splash Vinegar
- 1 Tomato
- 2-3 Potatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Onion
- 3-4 Pitas
- Salt & Pepper
- Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Paprika
- Corn Starch
Tzatziki (Garlic Dip)
- Put the yogurt in a bawl.
- Grade the Cucumber with the cheese grader ( large grade) In a different bawl or plate.
- Use your hands to remove as much water as you can from the cucumber. You can use a towel and twist it to remove the water. When you are done add it to the yogurt.
- Add salt, pepper, a splash of vinegar, 2 table spoons of Olive Oil and mix. You should end up with a creamy chunky mixture.
- Peal and cut the 2 garlic clove as fine as you can. Alternatively use a smashing device for that and add it to the mixture. Mix well to incorporate the garlic well. Cover and place in the fridge until time to use. COVER it or the entire fridge will smell of garlic.
- Wash the potatoes well.
- Cut them with the skin in nice fat pieces - elongated.
- Put them in a bawl and wash them a few times. Ideally you want them to stay in water with some salt for 30 min, then rinse them.
- Add to the chips salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, rosemary, thyme and corn starch and mix well until you can't feel any moisture. Add Corn starch if needed.
- Fry them in vegetable oil until they are nice red and crispy.
- When ready put hem on a plate with some kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil for 1-2 mins. then remove the paper or transfer the chips to other plate. Sprinkle some cheese if you want and enjoy with your souvlaki.
- Peal and cut the onion in ring shapes and put aside to use later.
- Cut the tomato in round shape then in the middle and put aside to use later.
- Cut the meat tin fine small pieces. Approximately 1-2 cm .
- Add to a hot Frying pan and season with salt, pepper and oregano. That's it. Cook until ready.
Making the Souvlaki.
- Take some cooking paper or aluminum foil. and place the pit so that half in on the paper half is outside of the paper.
- Start with Tzatziki ( garlic dip) to cover the pita top to bottom.
- Add the meat. Don't over do it.
- Add onion, tomato, chips, more tzatziki, and springe some parsley.
- Now wrap it up with the paper and enjoy,
- Cover the garlic dip before you place it in the fridge so that the whole fridge don't smell of garlic.
- Practice your warping a bit before you start with a few chips so that the content of the souvlaki doesn't end up on the floor.
- If you don't wrap it up don't worry you can still eat it !
- There are many version of souvlaki.
- the meat is no longer restricted to pork you can use chicken, lamb etc. or even burgers.
- Meat can be flavoured with spices such as paprika, carry etc.
- Meat can be marinated as well.